Dev Anand (Mangal), Kalpana Kartik (Mala), Sheila Ramani (Sylvie),Jhonny Walker (Mastana) along With Rasheed Khan,Hameed Sayani and Sarita Devi.
Director – Chetan Anand
Writer – Vijay and Uma Anand
Scenario and Direction – Chetan
Lyrics – Sahir
Dialogues – Vijay Anand
Assistant Director – MK Barman, Amarjeet
Photography – V Ratra
Mangal (Dev Anand) is a taxi driver in Bombay. He visits a nearby club where the clubs singer Sylvie (Sheila Ramani) falls in love with him.One day Mangal comes across Mala (Kalpana Kartik); a village girl who has come to Bombay in search of music director Ratanlal. Mangal rescues Mala from goons and brings her to his apartment. But soon Mala finds out about Sylvie and leaves…Will she come back , what happens to Sylvie and is Ratanlal ever found?
TaxiDriver was a hit in 1954 and can be enjoyed even today just because it is a simple love story with the perfect balance of romance and comedy along with fantastic music. Moreover the protagonist Mangal being a taxi driver , the movie beautifully showcases the roads and backdrops of Bombay of that time.
All the songs by Burman da were excellent; however “Jaayen To Jaayen Kahan” and “Dil Jale To Jale” stand out.” Chahe Koi Khush Ho Chahe gaaliyan hazaar de” sung by Kishore is comic and different.
- Dev Anand’s taxi in the movie was the British made Hillman Minx which soon became a popular choice for taxi’s in Bombay.
- Burman da won the Filmfare Best Music Director Award for the song- “Jayen to jayen kahan”.
- “Jayen to jayen kahan” also finished at second position in the annual Binaca Geetmala for 1954.
- Ishan Ghosh who did the sound recording for Taxi Driver won the Filmfare for best Sound Recording in 1954 but for the film Jeevan Jyoti.
- Dev Anand and Kalpana Kartik got married during the shooting of Taxi Driver.
- Amarjeet, who was assistant director for the film went on to direct the much acclaimed Hum Dono for Navketan films.
Just Like That!!
Character artist Sarita Devi who did a small role as Dev Anand’s Sister in law in the film went on to play the role of Sabri in Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayana more than 30 years later.